This article provides an overview of the Reservation Portfolio's capabilities for AWS reservations.
The Reservation Portfolio provides insight for proactive management of reservations across a variety of AWS services and types including:
- EC2, RDS, RedShift and ElastiCache Services
- 1-year, 3-year, standard, convertible, regional and AZ scoped reservations
Before you begin you will want to ensure that the necessary AWS credential permissions have been enabled to allow you to utilize the Portfolio.
To check the status of the necessary credentials:
- Credentialing must be viewed and performed by a user with Admin rights for your Cloudability account. If you do not have admin access or you are not sure if you do have admin rights, check with you organization’s primary Cloudability administrator.
- Under settings in the main navigation select ‘Vendor Credentials’.
- Within the main accounts view for the AWS tab, Any master payer or linked account that owns or your are intending to use to purchase reserved instances should have a green box with a white check status indicator under ‘Advanced Features’.
- For any account with any status indicators other than the green box with a white check mark Select Details to inspect the individual credentials.
If any of the ‘Describe’ permissions under the ‘Reservations’ subheading are a red 'x' they will need to be updated (by regenerating and applying CloudFormation templates) before your reservations will appear in the Reservation Portfolio.
Reservation Portfolio Supported AWS Services
The Portfolio provides a broad set of capabilities to help simplify the management of your reservations including:
- Email notification
- Summary metrics
- Cost basis selection
- Data export
- Historical performance
- And more….
Exploring Multiple Services
The Reservation Portfolio can be accessed from within the 'Insights' section of the primary navigation at the left of the UI.
The Portfolio provides insight for proactive management of reservations across a variety of services and types including EC2, RDS, RedShift and ElastiCache.
You can access portfolio information for each by selecting the appropriate sub-navigation tab.
Summary Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
The main table below the KPIs provides the detailed information about your individual Savings plans including:
- Plan ID
- Account ownership
- Family and region (if applicable)
- Current state and
- Expiration date
The table's results can easily be sorted using the up and down arrows adjacent to each of the column headings.
The Reservation Portfolio supports the ability to export results for sharing or further analysis.
After clicking the export icon at the right of the Portfolio sub-navigation bar, you will be prompted to select a destination to save or view a .csv export of you relevant reservation asset information.
The Reservation Portfolio includes the ability to set and customize alerting parameters so that you are proactively notified about reservations that are set to expire soon.
To subscribe to and configure alerts for expiring reservations, click the Alerts icon at the right of the page sub-navigation to expand the settings menu. You have the option to customize
- How far in advance of reservations expiring to be notified
- How often to receive alerts
- What day of the month to receive alerts
- What time of day to receive alerts
- If you would like to receive alerts even if nothing is expiring within the time preference setting
The portfolio supports filtering of results by several methods including hyperlinked table values, configuration of filters through the filter configurator and filtering for selected accounts.
Filtering With Linked Table Values
Multiple filtering parameters can be applied quickly by simply clicking on one or multiple of the hyperlinked values in the main table.
Note: When using hyperlinked values to populate filters only one value/parameter from each column can be selected at a time. See Filter Cofigurator below for removing filter parameters.
The filter configurator is available by clicking the pencil/edit icon that appears when hovering hovering the mouse pointer above the Filters selection in the Portfolio Navigation menu.
Within the configurator add a filter by clicking ‘Add’ and applying:
- a parameter (Measure),
- a functional logical test (Operator) and
- a Value to test against.
Weather added through the configurator or by clicking URLs from within the main table, a filter can be removed by opening the filter configurator and clicking the ‘X’ on the right of the specific item in the list of current filters.
For more information on AWS Reserved Instances see:
Developers looking for information about integrating with the Apptio Cloudability Reservation Portfolio into their application should visit the Reservation Portfolio public API endpoint and developer documentation.