When looking at a large cloud bill, it can sometimes be challenging to determine how much of your spending is due to variable usage (e.g., on-demand instances) as compared to recurring monthly charges (e.g., support and RI hours) vs. one-time charges (e.g., RI sign up charges).
The Transaction Type dimension allows you to break out spending into the following categories:
- Usage charges (e.g., on-demand instance usage, storage and data transfer)
- Recurring charge (e.g., support and monthly prepaid RI hours)
- One time charges (e.g., RI sign up charges)
- Credits (e.g., discounts)
- Taxes (e.g., VAT or regional taxes)
By adding the dimension to a Dashboard Widget you can see how your charges breakdown over the time period selected:
You can add Transaction Type as a dimension to Cost Analytics reports. Sample report:
Drill into any of these charges by adding related Dimensions like Product Name or Compute Usage Type. Sample report:
Finally, be sure to set your Preferences around excluding certain types of spending from your Cloudability cloud spending summary emails.