Over the past year, we’ve been hard at work designing and building a new data store to support more complex reporting and recommendations for your cloud spend. Some new features, like Rightsizing Recommendations, are already leveraging this new data platform. Features we’re continuing to develop like Automation will also make use of the flexibility and improvements of this platform.
While the improvements and possibilities this work permits, there are a few ways in which some metrics and dimensions will change. Additionally, some metrics and dimensions will be deprecated.
Improvements to Cost and Utilization Data
- Missing and non-applicable dimensions will become "(not set)". Historically, these have been displayed as an assortment of N/A, no region, etc.
- Filters will continue to work for old values to support backward compatibility.
- Tags now work by matching the first set value available. Overloading of tags and then subsequently filtering by tag key value is deprecated.
- Customers should tag map for semantically equivalent values i.e. misspelled versions Environment, Environment map to Environment.
- Tags are resolved at data ingestion so changes to mappings won't be reflected until a new DBR is loaded into the system.
- Account Groups changes will be reflected when new data is loaded.
- Unique count aggregates are now the sum of all the rows (consistent will all other metrics)
- In order to view a unique for a date period, you should select explicitly, i.e. Month dimension for unique month count
- Full precision of cost data; previously this was limited to 6 digits -- may be noticeable for really small instances like t2's.
- Better classification of region for things that were previously unknown. i.e. Data Transfer charges
- Subnet ID is available
- New metrics previously in beta are standard in this release: Memory (avg), Memory (max), CPU (max)
Deprecated Cost Measures
- Product Code - Use Service Name or Product Name instead.
- Credits, Taxes, Cost (Total Unblended Before Taxes) - These 3 metrics are Cost with transaction filter applied. We recommend using the filter explicitly instead.
- Going forward we recommend using transaction filter to get the Tax Cost, Credit Cost, Cost Total Before Taxes
- Usage Rate
Deprecated Utilization Measures
- CPU Clock Speed
- Processor Architecture
- Storage Devices
- Current State
- Hours Since Launch
- Average Hourly Cost - Use Rate in Cost Reports. This reflects actual prices instead of on-demand prices
- Average Hourly Cost Per Instance - Same as average usage but with ResourceID / Service EC2.
- Memory/Utilization Rate - Use Rightsizing tools.
If there are tag or account mappings that need to be modified for historical reporting purposes or if you have any questions about deprecated metrics or dimensions, please contact Support.