We've released some exciting changes to Reports to better enable fast data manipulation and exploration. The ability to edit a report without waiting for page reload allows you to modify filters and dimensions quickly to build a custom report that answers your questions.
Previewing a single day’s data will let you see a small set of results to make sure you have the right filters enabled before you query a large dataset. The Reports interface is also now consistent with the way the rest of the product looks and functions.
- Quick preview for data exploration and ad hoc queries
- When you create or edit a report, we provide a preview of the data so you can quickly see a sample set of results -- and make changes if needed -- before loading the full report.
- Make multiple changes to a report at once, then run it
- Like dashboard widgets, you can now change dates, add multiple filters, add columns, and change the sort order -- all in parallel. Then you can run the report once you've got it all setup.
- You can also now check multiple checkboxes all at once on report table, to plot multiple data series on the chart.
- Interact with reports as they load
- Rather than waiting for a large report to load, you can edit or export it while it's still running.
- Universal create/edit/view workflows
- Now when you create and edit reports like most other tools in the app -- using an editor in the sidebar, like Dashboard widgets and the RI Planner.
- This includes some key dashboard features:
- Re-order columns using drag and drop
- Filter logic is shown on Reports now (OR vs AND) just like Dashboard Widgets
- New sidebar for sharing and subscribing so that you can see all relevant details in one view
- Cost and Utilization reports united in the same location
- You no longer have to choose a different path to create or access Utilization and Cost reports. Now, like dashboard widgets, you choose between billing data and utilization API data when choosing the fields to add to your report.
Preview for data exploration and ad hoc queries
Now when you create or edit a report, we provide a preview using one day’s worth of your data so you can quickly see the results of your query -- and make changes if needed -- without having to wait for the full report to load:
This will make it a lot faster to narrow down a report to just the answers you are looking for, especially when looking across long timeframes or large data sets.
Make multiple changes to a report at once, then run it
By moving the report editor to the sidebar, it also functions like dashboard widgets, where you can change dates, add multiple filters, update metrics and dimensions, and change the sort order -- all at once. Then once you've got your report settings locked in, you can run it (rather than wait for a new page load for each change).
Similarly, now you can also select multiple checkboxes to plot on a report's chart all at once, rather than one-at-a-time.
By making report changes in parallel, you should be able to create and edit reports much more quickly than before.
Copy to Dashboard
By navigating to the 'More' link in the toolbar, you can convert the report to a dashboard widget. This allows you to fine tune your report using powerful reports filters and then save the report as a dashboard for quick reference later.
Interact with reports as they load
Rather than waiting for a large report to load, you can edit or export it while it's still running. Before, you could use the small 'x' button on the loading bar, but the new sidebar editor can be opened any time making it much more straightforward to take action on the fly.
Universal create/edit/view workflows
As you can see in the screenshot above, now when you create and edit a report, it will look the same as the table widget editor for dashboards (dark gray sidebar). The goal is to move all editing features in our app to the same sidebar interface, so it's easier for you to get your work done by only having to learn one workflow.
The biggest win here is the ability to re-order columns on reports using the drag and drop interface that is currently available in the table widget editor.
Additional benefits of the new universal feature set:
- You can now choose the chart type that best visualizes your Report's data (line, area, bar) -- or choose to hide the chart entirely if you just want to show the data table
- The filter logic that is applied is visible on Reports now -- OR vs AND -- like Widgets
- Options for sharing and subscribing are now in sidebars, instead of modals, which didn't always provide enough room to see all the relevant details at once
Cost and Utilization reports united in the same location
Now, like dashboard widgets, you choose between billing data and Cloudwatch data when adding fields to your report (no longer a separate popup window):
Additionally, the Analytics navigational sidebar now includes both your starred cost reports and your starred utilization reports for quick access to your most-used reports. There are no longer two separate sections in the Analytics area of our app for each type of report.
Note that in order to combine/overlay cost and utilization data, you still need to use a multi-layer dashboard widget. Reports still only show a single data series.
We hope these changes make your job easier and faster as you slice and dice your cloud data. And as always, we want to hear from you! Don't hesitate to reach out to offer feedback or ask questions.